2022 Update from the Rainy Day Garden



Hello Blogger-sphere! 

The past year has been a busy one for this gardener. I have transitioned my gardening focus to growing cut flowers. (No one was eating the vegetables anyway.) The perennial beds around my house are established now. They are doing exactly what I’d hoped: providing habitat for wildlife while providing year round interest for the humans. 

In my desire to keep learning, growing cut flowers has provided a massive learning curve. It’s stressful but rewarding. So many new things to learn like:

Seed starting (year round and all of the supplies 🤪)

Soil Health (now it’s really important!)

Starting a business (pricing, social media, pictures, flower stand, watering, crop rotation, subscription sales, seasonal variety and more)

Creating a business website (um- this is harder than it should be)

Dahlia ‘Cafe au Lait’

The mini flower farm in August

September dahlia blooms

Sweet peas in June

This past spring I had a brave moment (or a stupid one) and I announced to the world that I would be selling flowers. 

So I did. 

I bought a beat up old fashioned garden cart and scrubbed rust and painted it in black and white. 

I put the cart out on Sundays starting in July thru September. I offered subscription packages and sold a few of those (this is definitely the better way to go). 

I loved coming home from the day job to a backyard full of dreamy flowers. 

Flower farming is a lot of work. I knew it would be, but until I really dug in and went through a whole year, I didn't understand the scope.

I hope I have more time to write updates, but you can find me on Instagram @5th_ave_flower_farm

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

Popular Posts